Periodontal Surgery in San Antonio, TX
Gum disease is a common oral health problem that affects many people in the United States. It’s caused by bacteria in the mouth that can lead to inflammation, bleeding, and even tooth loss. At Hearthstone Dental Specialists in San Antonio, TX, our skilled periodontist provides periodontal surgery to treat gum disease and restore your oral health. We use the latest technology and techniques to ensure effective and minimally invasive periodontal surgery procedures.
What is Periodontal Surgery?
Periodontal surgery is a type of oral surgery that is used to treat gum disease. It involves removing bacteria and damaged tissue from the gum and bone surrounding the teeth. This type of surgery is typically performed by a periodontist or oral surgeon who has undergone additional training in the treatment of gum disease.
Types of Periodontal Surgery for Dental Care
There are several types of periodontal surgery that may be recommended depending on the severity of your gum disease. Hearthstone Dental Specialists offers oral surgery services including:
- Scaling and root planing: This is a non-surgical treatment that involves removing plaque and tartar from the teeth and smoothing the root surfaces to prevent bacteria from adhering to them.
- Pocket reduction surgery: This surgery involves folding back the gum tissue and removing bacteria and damaged tissue from the pocket around the tooth. The gum is then secured back into place to promote healing.
- Soft tissue grafts: This surgery involves taking tissue from another part of your mouth or using synthetic material to replace gum tissue that has been lost due to gum disease.
- Bone grafts: This surgery involves adding bone to the jaw to support the teeth that have been affected by gum disease.
Patient Benefits of Periodontal Surgery
Periodontal surgery has many benefits for patients who are suffering from gum disease, including:
- Improved oral health: By removing bacteria and damaged tissue, periodontal surgery can help restore your oral health and prevent further damage.
- Better aesthetics: Periodontal surgery can also improve the appearance of your smile by correcting gum recession or other issues caused by gum disease.
- Reduced risk of systemic health problems: Gum disease has been linked to a number of systemic health problems, including heart disease, diabetes, and stroke. By treating gum disease with periodontal surgery, you may be able to reduce your risk of these conditions.
What to Expect During Periodontal Surgery in San Antonio
At Hearthstone Dental Specialists in San Antonio, TX, we use the latest technology and techniques. During your procedure, our periodontist will use local anesthesia to numb the area around the affected teeth. They will then perform the appropriate surgery, depending on the severity of your gum disease.
When do you Need Periodontal Surgery?
Periodontal surgery is a specialized branch of dentistry that involves surgical procedures to diagnose, treat, and correct various problems. It may be required for a variety of reasons, including:
An extraction is a common type of periodontal surgery that is performed when a tooth is too damaged or decayed to be repaired with a filling or a crown. Extractions may also be necessary to make room for orthodontic treatment or impacted wisdom tooth removal.
Dental Implants Services
Implants are artificial tooth roots that are used to replace missing teeth. Implants are surgically placed in the jawbone and provide a stable foundation for replacement teeth. Periodontal surgery may be necessary to place implants.
Corrective Jaw Surgery
Corrective jaw surgery, also known as orthognathic surgery, is performed to correct a range of jaw problems, including misaligned jaws, jaw growth abnormalities, and TMJ disorders. This type of surgery may be necessary to improve a patient’s bite, speech, and appearance.
Gum grafting is performed to restore gum tissue that has been lost due to gum disease. During the procedure, the gum tissue is taken from another area of the mouth and grafted onto the affected area.
Periodontal surgery may also be necessary to perform biopsies of suspicious oral lesions. Biopsies are used to determine whether a lesion is cancerous or noncancerous.
Aftercare for Periodontal Surgery
After your periodontal surgery, it’s important to follow your periodontist’s instructions for aftercare. This may include:
- Taking pain medication as prescribed
- Avoiding hard or crunchy foods for a few days after surgery
- Using a special mouthwash to help prevent infection
- Following a soft food diet for a few days after surgery
Schedule your Appointment for a Healthy Smile
At Hearthstone Dental Specialists in San Antonio, we’re committed to providing our patients with the highest level of care. Our skilled periodontist provides periodontal surgery services that are designed to treat gum disease and restore oral health. We believe that a positive office experience is essential to maintaining a healthy smile, which is why we strive to create a welcoming, safe, and comfortable atmosphere for our patients.
Our friendly staff is dedicated to providing exceptional customer service and will go above and beyond to ensure that you feel comfortable and confident during your visit. With years of experience in the industry, our practice is equipped to handle all of your periodontal needs, from routine cleanings to complex surgical procedures. Whether you’re a new patient or a returning one, you can trust that you’ll receive the best possible care at Hearthstone Dental Specialists.